This post may contain some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission to help keep my blog up and running, but it won't cost you a penny more). For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
A lot of dieters seem a little lost about dressing well while losing weight. They wear their larger sized clothing a lot longer than they should and are reluctant to buy new clothes.
And that’s understandable.
When you are losing a lot of weight, you’ll find yourself moving from size to size rapidly over the months and it’s hard to justify spending your hard-earned money on clothing that won’t fit properly in a few weeks. But you still have to go to work and social events, so how do you keep from looking unkempt while you are shrinking and your clothes aren’t?
Spending a fortune on new clothes for each size is something most of us can’t afford!
But there are options to keep you looking sharp and no one has to know you don’t have an unlimited budget!
- Shop your closet.
- You may be able to get a lot of wear out of some of your favorite pieces by having them altered.
- Do you have smaller size items buried in the back of your closet for when “you are thinner?” Pull them out and see if they fit now!
- Some more casual pieces can be made to fit a bit longer by using some styling wizardry, such as tucking in or tying up a corner into an attractive knot. Be creative and check out websites like this one for ideas.
- Buy a few key pieces.
- If you are going to purchase a few things to see you through, don’t buy loose baggy things, even if that’s been your style in the past. They will look terrible after a little more weight loss and you will have wasted your money.
- Instead, opt for well-fitting pieces that cover up trouble areas and really flatter you.
- Get yourself fitted properly for a good bra. You don’t need a wardrobe of them when you are losing weight, but you do need your bra to fit perfectly or it will derail your whole look.
- Try out some new styles and experiment with a new look to match the changes in your body and attitude!
- Used Clothing
- You sometimes have to hunt through a lot of junk but you can find some real jewels! I bought the very best fitting jeans at every size from Goodwill as I lost weight. There is nothing like the way you feel in jeans that make you look like they were custom made for you. And they get a second round as your comfy “at home” jeans before you stop wearing them.
- Vintage stores and higher-end resale boutiques sometimes have one-of-a-kind items that can be the centerpiece of your transitional wardrobe. Check out hospital-affiliated stores and smaller boutiques in affluent areas.
- Consider trading clothes with friends. They may be just as happy as you to get some new pieces and pass on things that they don’t wear.
- Discount stores
- Some stores, like TJ Maxx & Marshall’s, have really great deals! The clothes are new and discounted heavily. f you look in their clearance area, you can sometimes find some incredible deals!
- Discount stores always have a good stock of plus-sized clothing as well, so don’t think it’s limited to small sizes.
- Rent your transitional clothing from a subscription service like Gwynnie Bee. My friend did this while she was losing weight and she always looked professional, stylish and fabulous! Gwynnie Bee has been featured in InStyle, Marie Claire, People’s StyleWatch, Forbes, The Huffington Press, and more. If you love something, you have the option to buy it, but rental is inexpensive and it can really stretch your wardrobe when you need fashionable clothing for work. There’s a 30-day free trial, so how can you lose? Free shipping, unlimited exchanges, free dry cleaning, and discounted pricing if you choose to buy.
The important thing to remember about dressing well while losing weight is that this IS transitional. You may be in a size for several weeks so you want to look your best, but you also don’t want to spend money on clothing that is quickly going to be too big.
And don’t forget the details. When you want to show off your progress, get a fresh new haircut and try some new makeup. A friend who lost a lot of weight cut off her waist length hair and got a modern bob that transformed her. She was the same vibrant person she’d always been, but the world started to pay more attention as she underwent her transformation.
Save your money for your ultimate wardrobe, something that you will get a lot of wear out of after your weight loss.